WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Don't be fooled by the grim-faced picture. It was the only unblinking one. For me, words are worth a thousand pictures. I'm looking forward to saying hi to all of you.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Writing Blahs and What do Do About Them

I hate to admit that I was in a writing blah today, but was I ever! None of my thoughts seemed important enough to write about. Every time I got an idea, I'd talk myself out of it. "It's dumb." "You'll never find a market for it." "I have nothing to write about that's better than the last piece I got published." Oh, I couldn't swat these thoughts away, no matter how hard I tried.
Here's what I did instead:
1. I was working on a poem. Instead of reading more poetry, I read a play: The Children's Hour, by Lillian Hellman.
2. I told myself that I didn't have to write anything great, just write something. I could always look at it another day and see if it had anything to it. Just get something down.
What do you do to saddle your muse?

No comments: